The Power of the Blueberry
As we went on our way developing new flavours, there was one we were wary to produce: vanilla. We felt that vanilla has been done a thousand times before. However, our customers are so important to us, so when we had multiple requests for a scent with vanilla in, of course it would be rude not to.
Previous careers and passions have led to a strong belief in health and wellbeing. Being a nurse was a rewarding job, with many twists and turns, many emotional times, but also many amazing moments. Through many years of study, one area I was always interested in was the health benefits of certain foods. Combining this with our love for nature, we wanted to incorporate a beneficial fruity hint to our next fragrance.
Our typical morning consists of preparing breakfast for the family, and a fresh smoothie always goes along a treat to start with. Blending up berries with kale, our minds began to wander; blueberries, a classic super-food, would this work well with vanilla?
Blueberries are really good for you. They are what we like to call the granddad of the super-food trend. This sweet, appealing little North American fruit packs a powerful nutritional punch. They are an excellent source of vitamin K. They also contain vitamin C, fibre, manganese and other antioxidants such as anthocyanin’s- known to lower the risk of type 2 diabetes. It is valued for its high levels of antioxidants; some nutritionists believe that if you make only one change to your diet, it should be to add blueberries. Some claim blueberries can help protect against heart disease and some cancers, as well as improve your memory.
So if we were to change one thing to a vanilla scented candle, it should be blueberry, right? A fruit so small but mighty. A fruit with so much power in such a tiny ball. A smooth outer shell, concealing a juicy, squidgy inner core. A deep blue indigo colour unique to a berry.
Sometimes, a break is needed from the practicalities of life, baking is one way to relax: a therapy all of its own.
Picture a blueberry and vanilla pie. Pastry rolled out, you reach for the mixing pot. With your wooden spoon you begin to gently stir the blueberries together with tiny vanilla pods. Adding sugar to the mix, the blueberries begin to sparkle as the mixture comes together. Preparation finished, you precariously place the pie in the oven. As it bubbles away, the fruity mixture squeezes through the gaps in the pastry, the fruits burst to your attention.
As you lay it by the open window to cool, the breeze carries the divine smell through your home; a relaxed and mouth-watering scent of cooked blueberries is not to be ignored when combined with the creamy undertones of vanilla.
• up to 40 hour burn time (Jar / triple wick), up to 20 hour burn time (Tin)
• we use natural scented soy wax as this is more environmentally friendly than paraffin wax
• we use natural cotton-linen wicks as this is a sustainable source
• we do not use dyes and our products have no parabens or additives
• all of our products are naturally vegan & vegetarian friendly
• we do not test our products (or ingredients) on animals
• all of our products and packaging are highly recyclable; we have also eliminated the use of plastic wherever possible
• we reuse packaging materials where possible for shipping to help reduce our carbon footprint
• our products are IFRA compliant and certified by Trading Standards